During these disruptive times, there‚Äôs plenty of us staying at home and looking to catch up on reading, listening to music, and watching Netflix.
If you have any questions about COVID-19 and companion animals, be sure to see the RSPCA Knowledgebase.
Here‚Äôs some suggestions from our team for things to do:
SHOW ME THE ANIMALS!
Cute pets alert! Let‚Äôs be honest, who doesn‚Äôt love scrolling the pages of Adoptapet to browse some cute canines and kitties (and many other types of animals too!). Whether you‚Äôve been thinking about adopting or know someone who is, now is the time to show these pets some love, and page views.
- Catch up on RSPCA Australia‚Äôs Humane Food podcast. With season 2 recording well underway, now is a good time to be up to date on all things farm animal welfare, food and farming in Australia from season 1.
- Check out some RSPCA Approved farms. When you can‚Äôt get out to see some animals, sit back and watch these videos to see what it‚Äôs like on RSPCA Approved farms.
You can subscribe to The Biscuit, RSPCA‚Äôs quarterly print magazine for animal lovers. Beautifully designed and photographed, it‚Äôs full of animal news, rescue stories, pet advice, and information about our native wildlife. A great read for the whole family and is now available for digital subscriptions!
Get up to date with all the latest science. Are you a budding animal welfare scientist? Well download the latest newsletter to see what recent developments there are.
Keep up to date. RSPCA Australia‚Äôs media centre has all the latest national animal welfare stories. Bookmark this page for regular updates.
- Extra, extra, read all about it! Did you know there‚Äôs lots of farm animal news on the RSPCA Approved website? Check out the blog to see what‚Äôs new in the world of RSPCA Approved.
HOME-SCHOOLING MADE FUN
Build your own hen-pire. With Cheeky Chooks recently released on Apple and Google Play, it‚Äôs time to put your farmer hat on and take care of some cheeky chooks!
You don‚Äôt have to play Cheeky Chooks online, you can also download our interactive card game. Follow the activity with the kids to create a fun lesson in the home, which teaches children about the individual personalities of chooks.
- Learn about hens and eggs with this chatterbox. Ready to print activity to play with the kids and start conversations on layer hen welfare.
YOUR FAQs ANSWERED
- Ever had an animal welfare question pop in your head? Well now is the time to sit down and explore the RSPCA Knowledgebase. Australia‚Äôs most trusted source of animal welfare science, advice and information.
EATING BETTER NOW AND INTO THE FUTURE
Been out shopping and stocking up your food cupboard? Did you notice some products that contain eggs but have no information on where those eggs are from? Well check out our Cage Free & Proud campaign to find out which brands use cage-free eggs. If you don‚Äôt see your favourite brand listed, nominate them.
Ô∏èPlan a meal out for later! It‚Äôs important to support Aussie businesses that are likely doing it tough with people eating at home. So, when you next eat out, and these disruptions end, make it a caf√© or restaurant that‚Äôs serving cage-free eggs. Use the Choose Wisely directory to find your nearest eating spot with humane food on the menu.
Please stay safe. We wish everyone well during these trying times.